Self-sovereign identity is a new identity management paradigm that allows entities to really have the ownership of their identity data and control their use without involving any intermediary.
Self-sovereign identity allows entities to have full ownership of their identity data and control their use without involving any intermediary, solving the current observable power asymmetry.
- SSI for “Entities”: Human, IoT, legal entities
- “10 Guiding Principles” for SSI: Christopher Allen
- Privacy as a central need: Online, ‘privacy’&‘identity’ are interdependent.
Applicability: Wide range of use cases covered such as KYC,AML, SSO, authentication, authorization, etc.
❌ Trust: Surveillance Capitalism [Big Data (Brother) commoditization: data brokerage, profiling through correlation & psyops]
❌ Security: Single Point of Failure [hacks / fraud / profiling]
❌ Accessibility: National sovereignty, identity balkanization
❌ Efficiency: time loss / no leverage of past processes [surveillance social login]
✅ Trust: ’Reusable trust’, Blockchain technology leveraged for SSI [data minimization]
✅ Security: Sovereign control, Asymmetric encryption I Hashing I local data control [wallet]
✅ Accessibility: Data portability, though devices
✅ Efficiency: Global interoperability, fast/safe recovery [key sharding]
SSI stack infrastructure
Spruce is reimagining trusted interactions through the creation of a W3C compliant new identity infrastructure and open source libraries built on Tezos for digital identity, with their open sourced product suite comprising:
- Credible: An (Apache 2.0) credential wallet for self-sovereign identity
- DIDKit: a cross-platform toolkit for working with W3C Decentralized Identifiers and Verifiable Credentials
- SSI: A RUST library for decentralized identity
- Keylink: A digital signature scheme
- Tezos Public Profiles: allows users to create portable verified profiles by demonstrating control over their public social media and by self-attesting information
SSI for financial inclusion
Gravity allows individuals, small businesses and NGOs to bring together verifiable data about themselves in a digital wallet and build trusted digital identities and relationships that are private, portable and persistent.
Based on Spruce’s stack, the project operates in three main verticals: identity for humanitarian aid, financial inclusion and government identity. Gravity is further integrating :
- DIGID: Dignified Identities for Cash Programming, developed with the Norwegian Red Cross, Save the Children
- Education credentials: Built with the UNDP, these credentials will be granted to Syrians under temporary protection in Turkey
Reusable KYC platform ‘(SSO)’
Synaps, an AI instant user verification and reusable KYC platform, is working on launching a decentralized identity solution. Thanks to this solution, users will be able to authenticate themselves by using the Ledger hardware wallet as a sovereign and non-custodial solution for decentralized personal documents storage. Elements of the Synaps solution are:
- Synaps passport: Allowing individuals to secure store and re-share documents through decentralized storage
- KYC verification flow: A DIY KYC workflow for corporates needing to authenticate users
- Trusted network: Synap’s network of actors